Glass Magnolia Bed and Breakfast rests among lakes carved from Ice Age glaciers and its woods were once traveled by Cayuga and Seneca Indians along Sullivan's trail. The grounds are a Revolutionary War tract parcel given in lieu of payment when the Continental Army had no money to pay their soldiers. Not far up the road, Susan B. Anthony, Amelia Bloom and Elizabeth Caddy Stanton rallied for women's rights while the Finger Lakes region was a mighty force in the wine industry before Prohibition. Research shows the main building was part of the "underground railroad" as Harriet Tubman's home is not far from the top of Cayuga Lake. Amish and Mennonite farms dot the countryside with simplicity and order. Step into the past by touring area historic homes. Come, share the beauty and taste the splendor of the best the Finger Lakes has to offer.
The stately mansion that is the Bed and Breakfast main building has a story of its own to tell. A curbside view shows a marvelous example of Greek Revival architecture typical of the 1820's to the 1860's. But in 2000 as we developed renovations deeper into the upper 3rd floor, we discovered Federal style construction (representative of the 1780's - 1820's) in the center portion of the building. This consists of a halfmoon Rosette window (still intact but lacking the stainglass inserts), original clapboard siding with its original "mustard colored" paint, and post/beam wood peg framing.
The front entry door tells only part of the story. Its deep recess indicates the "false" front built to extend to the two flanking wings, four large fluted center columns, and eight (four on each wing) smaller matching fluted columns (all with Roman Ionic Capitals). For over One hundred years there were only 6 pillars supporting the front porticos due to its run down state. Today, all 12 of the columns on the front are replacements made of Ponderosa Pine from Medford, Oregon transported here on flatbed truck in 2001.
When families came into wealth or status it was typical for them to "upgrade" their homes as we do today. We can only speculate when early owner and wealthy merchant, John B. Avery, became the local Postmaster, he wanted to show his position of importance. (Postmaster from 1839 - 1888)
Sometime between 1854 and 1870, Mr. Avery built the second house on the southern adjacent property for his spinster sister and his ailing daughter. These women were fortunate as it was a man's world in those days and it was difficult at best for "unattached" women to provide for themselves if a male family member was not available. This house is a lovely example of a period Victorian Townhouse Duplex. In 1924, the North porch was moved from the Hinman House (now the Interlaken Library) on Main Street Interlaken and rebuilt onto the 8347 Main Street property. Over the decades since its beginnings, this house has been an apartment building, nursing home, single family home, and small business. In 1984, we loving started the restoration process and are just about complete in our renovations with some outdoor work to be done
"Shortly before the Civil War, a band was organized at Farmer Village, now known as Interlaken. The band played for parades
and celebrations. When President Lincoln called for volunteers,
the band played at a recruitment meeting held on the lawn of Postmaster John B. Avery.
The recruitment officer was so persuasive with his promises of promotion, 12 band members enlisted. The band members
were assigned to the 126th Regiment at Geneva, NY, the
official band for the Regiment and played while recruits
drilled and paraded. The 126th was ordered to
Harper's Ferry arriving there August 27, 1862
and met with Stonewall Jackson two weeks later.
General Jackson was guarding General Lee's flank near
Harper's Ferry during the Battle of Antietam. The
recruits were no match, and the band with 12,000 other
troops were captured and sent to prison camp,
Camp Douglas near Chicago. There they waited
two months for a prisoner exchange. After the exchange
they reorganized as the Third Brigade Band at Union Mills, VA.
In the Battle of Gettysburg the band "played" exclusively with their guns. They fought Little Round Top and Devil's Den, and the Peach Orchard where some of the fiercest battles were fought. Of the 12 members of the band, 7 were wounded and 1 killed. The Third Brigade Band continued to fight and play during the
Army of the Potomac's Battles with Lee's Confederate forces.
At the surrender of General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox
Court House on April 9, 1865, the Third Brigade Band
was ordered forward between the picket lines to wait for news
of the signing of the surrender. An aide of General Miles brought the news and the band began to play. Union batteries were waiting this very signal and the moment the band began to play, the roar of cannons began as battery
after battery joined the celebration - the war was over!"
(taken from the book page 133, Between the Lakes by Maurice L. - Pat - Patterson)